One Pan Roasted Chicken and Carrots paired with our One Brick GSM
GSM is a blend of the grape varieties Grenache, Syrah and Mourvèdre. Each grape originated in the Rhône Valley in the South of France, where they are labeled primarily as Côte du Rhône - meaning from the banks of the Rhône River, which winds its way from north to south through the region. This classic trio of grapes also grows well in climates like its home. This inspired red blend is a Sierra Foothills expression, a region which enjoys a climate nearly identical to that of Southern France. This wine is a dark garnet color and richly aromatic with enticing notes of raspberry, boysenberry and blackberry. The classic backing spice nuance of Grenache lingers in the background like the hint of cinnamon in a blackberry pie. It is incredibly smooth with supple tannins and juicy sweet berry flavors.
Spices and herbs like sage, rosemary, and red pepper are also great matches for this wine, so try to include these in the meals you cook. Try to avoid citrus based meals, salads, and anything raw, as these aren’t very good GSM wine-food pairings.
Here is an easy recipe that will go beautifully with that bottle of GSM wine you have been saving. Enjoy!
- 1 whole chicken, without giblets
- Salt, black pepper, and spices
- Onion Powder
- ½ cup of divided margarine
- 1 celery stalk without leaves
- 6-8 carrots
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees before you start seasoning your chicken. Then put your whole chicken in a roasting pan, and season inside and out with salt and pepper.
- Add your additional spices and herbs also to taste. Sprinkle the interior and exterior of your chicken generously with onion powder. Add margarine to the chicken. After 3 tablespoons, place the remaining margarine around the chicken’s exterior. Slice your celery into small pieces and place them inside the chicken cavity as well. Peel the carrots, cut lengthwise in half and arrange around the chicken.
- Bake it uncovered for around an hour and 15 minutes, to a minimum temperature of 180 degrees. When that is done, remove the chicken from the heat, and baste it with the melted margarine and seasoning drippings.
- Once you are finished, cover it using aluminum foil, and let it rest about 30 minutes before serving it with a bottle of GSM wine.